Why this role is made for you:
We are seeking an experienced Technical Team Leader to grow, maintain, and oversee all technical aspects of LBC’s projects. The successful candidate understands freemium mobile games running high-frequency live operations, will set and maintain standards across all programming practices, will manage a world-class team of engineers at different levels of experience, and will proactively identify and address technical risks. The most desirable hard skills the successful candidate will bring to the table are expertise in AWS, C# Unity, JAVA, and PHP, but they will also be approachable, ensuring that their team members are comfortable coming to them with concerns and that their voices are heard across the team as a whole.
As our TD, you will have your eyes on the big picture—you are the technical vision holder at the studio, proactively identifying business and multi-project needs—but you’ll also ensure that the details required of happy, challenged, and high-performing technical teams are covered. You will leverage your expertise in the latest technologies and tools to add value across all technical implementations.
Finally, when the chips are down and your team is tired, you will jump in and get your hands dirty in the trenches alongside them.
This is a Full-time role. Temporarily remote due to COVID-19.
A Technical Director’s impact:
- Maintain and update a secure and scalable server environment based on:
- Lead the engineering team responsibly through collaboration, accountability, a sense of ownership, and trust.
- Work directly with leadership acting as a technology expert, making decisions that will impact the current and future operations of the company for the engineering team.
- Set a vision for how technology will be used in the company.
- Ensure that the technological resources meet the company’s short and long-term needs.
- Make executive decisions on behalf of the company’s technological requirements.
- Provide technical expertise to develop leading-edge technologies from start to finish: architecture, design, prototyping, implementation, testing, debugging, documentation, profiling, maintenance, and support.
- Provide expert understanding of current technology, middleware, and architecture choices, including their advantages and drawbacks.
- Ensure that games are being built with the right engineering methodology, uphold best coding practices, perform code reviews, and pay consideration to long-term quality and future code-sharing.
- Act as a mentor to team members.
- Manage technology budgets and time frames.
- Prioritize and manage engineering workload. Ensure timelines, expectations, and deliverables and that the team(s) involved are held accountable to these expectations.
- Stay on top of technology trends and developments both in the gaming and non-gaming industries.
Ensure all technology practices adhere to regulatory standards.
- Maintain a gamer-focused outlook and aid in the delivery of quality games to market.
- Report the state of technology with honesty and clarity to the team and senior leadership
Your track record includes:
- 5+ years of experience leading technical teams in the games industry, with 8+ years of experience developing front- and back-end code and architecture
- Experience in mobile and freemium (versus large-organization triple-A premium games)
- Strong expertise in C# Unity, PHP, and JAVA
- Demonstrated expertise in effective Agile workflows
- Demonstrated experience in managing and scaling high-performing technical teams
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated experience working directly with creative teams, product teams, and product owners.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues with ease, even to less technical team members
- Ability to adapt existing technical processes and demonstrate success
- Top-tier communications skills
- Downtown office, steps from the Skytrain
- Fully stocked pantry & fridge, coffee, and beer
- Monthly Socials and Team-building Activities
- Flexible scheduling
- Work from home one day a week
- Competitive compensation
- Growth and team-focused company culture
- Access to a health-spending account in lieu of benefits
LBC was originally founded to develop the first AAA cannabis-themed F2P mobile game. Hempire was launched on April 20, 2017, and has been downloaded over 14M times! It has earned a 4.7 rating on the app and play stores. With Hempire’s success, LBC has grown into a team of over 35 people across a wide range of disciplines. Building off of Hempire’s success, we are developing new exciting titles for the F2P mobile game market driven by our core values:
- Accountability: Communicate Fearlessly & Own Your Roles, Make Educated Decisions
- Growth: Commit to Growth professionally, personally, and collectively
- Honesty: Cultivate Community, open dialogue, respectful of others
- Passion: Give energy to your work and your team. Take pride and be enthusiastic!
We cultivate the freshest interactive experiences in the mobile world. From concept to publishing, our free-to-play games are 100% home-grown, an expression of our passion, commitment to quality and driven by a purpose that will be remembered forever.
We Grow Games.
We Grow Communities.
We Grow Careers.