Why this role is made for you:
We are seeking an experienced technical team leader to grow, maintain, and oversee all technical aspects of LBC’s projects. The successful candidate understands freemium mobile games running high-frequency live operations, will set and maintain standards across all programming practices, will manage a world-class team of engineers at different levels of experience, and will proactively identify and address technical risks. The most desirable hard skills the successful candidate will bring to the table are expertise in AWS, C# Unity, JAVA, and PHP, but they will also be approachable, ensuring that their team members are comfortable coming to them with concerns, and that their voices are heard across the team as a whole.
As our Lead Software Engineer you will have your eyes on the big picture—you are the technical vision holder at the studio, proactively identifying business and multi-project needs—but you’ll also ensure that the details required of happy, challenged, and high-performing technical teams are covered. You will leverage your expertise in the latest technologies and tools to add value across all technical implementations.
Finally, when the chips are down and your team is tired, you will jump in and get your hands dirty in the trenches alongside them.
This is a full-time in-office role with the possibility of some remote work.
A Lead Software Engineer’s impact:
- Maintain and update a secure and scalable server environment based on:
- AWS managed by CloudFormation
- Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL, and Redis
- Ubuntu Server
- Maintain and update the LBC development infrastructure based on:
- Git, Gitolite, and Subversion
- Python 3 and Flask
- NGINX and uWSGI
- Ubuntu Server
- Create & maintain new build pipeline for the game client & assets that is based on Jenkins & interfaces with the existing development infrastructure
- Provide additional development for the Unity3D/C#-based game client, targeting Android & iOS mobile platforms
- Provide technical assistance in publishing the game to the Apple, Google Play, and Amazon app stores
- Program games and applications in C# / Unity or other languages as needed
- Assess, develop, debug, maintain, and set code standards
- Effectively scope and define project requirements
- Work with existing frameworks, developing new frameworks and functional specifications
- Aid in developing game concepts
- Optimize game performance, code stability, code refactoring
- Propose creative solutions to meet product goals and develop programming best practices
- Develop admin tools and frameworks to aid in future release updates
- Work effectively in cross-functional teams; participate and contribute at team meetings
- Mentor and lead other software engineers
- Be a champion of our studio values and work to build consensus and buy-in from your team
- Collaborate with remote team members to identify, produce, and deliver tasks on time
- Update all areas of the game client and the server application for any current and future projects
- Provide additional Unity3D and server application development as needed
Your track record includes:
- 5+ years of experience leading technical teams in the games industry, with 8+ years of experience developing front- and back-end code and architecture
- Experience in mobile and freemium (versus large-organization triple-A premium games)
- Strong expertise in C# Unity, PHP, and JAVA
- Demonstrated expertise in effective Agile workflows
- Demonstrated experience in managing and scaling high-performing technical teams
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated experience working directly with creative teams, product teams, and product owners.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues with ease, even to less technical team members
- Ability to adapt existing technical processes and demonstrate success
- Top-tier communications skills
- Downtown office, steps from the skytrain, with unlimited snacks, coffee, and beer
- Flexible scheduling
- Work from home one day a week
- Competitive compensation
- Growth and team-focused company culture
- Access to a health-spending account in lieu of benefits
LBC Studios is a private company located in Vancouver, British Columbia (operating remotely and in downtown Vancouver) and was founded in February, 2015 by Solon Bucholtz and Dennis Molloy. LBC was founded with the sole purpose of the creation and development of the first AAA-quality, marijuana-themed mobile application for Apple, Android, and Amazon platforms. That game is Hempire.
Hempire was launched on April 4, 2017, has been downloaded nearly 10 million times, and has earned a 4.8 overall rating on the App and Play Stores. Above all we value open communication, data-driven decisions, unparalleled individual freedoms balanced with complete disciplinary ownership, and the cultivation of a positive culture both inside the studio and with our community of fans
Our team members have been integral to the production of more than 100 titles ranging from console hits in EA’s Need For Speed, Battlefield, and FIFA franchises, to mobile hits like East Side Games’ Trailer Park Boys Greasy Money and Zynga’s Frontierville. And, of course, we are always working on our next big thing.